Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What movies do you want to see this year?

This list is compiled of personal preferences and is pretty much all over the place. Be warned.

Also if you haven't read this list I posted (The best movie bets this year) about some big name movies coming out this year be sure to do so.

One of the big name movies I'm personally interested in seeing this year is 'Alice in Wonderland'. I think Johnny Depp is a good actor and I like Tim Burton's dark comedic style of work. My only disappointment in him was with 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' but I think that's mostly because I'm so partial to the original with Gene Wilder with multiple people playing Ooompa Loompas.

Another 'Alice in Wonderland' Trailer


So yes, I'm excited to see 'Alice in Wonderland'. Also the "I don't want to grow up, I'm a Toys R Us kid" in me is excited for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollow's and The Twilight Saga movie Eclipse. If you've read my blogs you would know I'm a more recent Twilight follower, but I've always enjoyed Harry Potter and have read the books since they first came out. Speaking of books to movies more for kids that I've read,  The Chronicles of Narnia, Voyage of the Dawn Treader should be cute. I enjoyed the first movie, thought it was more like the book than the second installment but that one was still a great family movie as well.

Russell Crowe in a new Robin Hood movie should be interesting. I was thinking it would be made to star Viggo Mortensen or Gerard Butler but Russell Crowe is a fine actor as well. I'm hoping this one is pretty epic. Whats up with all the remakes lately though? Another Nightmare on Elm Street is being released this year as well. I don't really know why but all these horror movies that are being made don't really enthuse me like they used to. 95% of the time I perfer the original to a remake and with horror movies the remakes seem to be getting worse and worse. I think the saving grace for this movie will be that its starring Kellan Lutz who plays Emmett Cullen in the Twilight Movies.

Some more remakes coming out this year include: 'The Karate Kid' starring Will Smiths son Jaden to 'Clash of the Titans' starring a bunch of decent B listers, 'The Crazies' directed by famed George A. Romero starring a bunch of people I've never heard of, 'The Wolfman' starring Benicio del Toro. 'The Green Hornet' starring Seth Rogan, 'Childs Play' with only "rumored" actors so far, Friday the 13th, Part 2 will be coming out this summer as well. For the love of anything breathing please STOP xeroxing this movie! Please. I heard 'Evil Dead' mentioned a few days ago and thought a remake was coming out of that but sadly or thankfully depending on how you look at it, is not true. Selected theaters plan to re-release the film for limited engagements. And I also wanted to mention Poltergeist was supposed to be coming out this November also but I just found out the release date was pushed back until next year. Thank goodness. 2010 will have enough remakes already. It was announced a few weeks ago that 'Dune' and '1984' are being made but no release date yet. Oh the suspense.

Not remakes but some mostly likely horrible sequels coming out this year include Paranormal Activity 2, the too much dragged out Saw I lost count what number, 'Predators' which is a sequel to the 1987 classic action film Predator. 'Tron Legacy' starring Jeff Bridges, 'Austin Powers 4',  High School Musical 4: East Meets West', 'Meet the Fockers Sequel', 'Scream 4' etc etc I gave up even researching this anymore;p (If you want to see more please see Movies Coming Out in the Near Future on Squidoo.com or IMDB.com.

And also some movies based off video games are supposed to hit theaters this year including Everquest (Yeah, I'll probably check this out cause I play EQ2, I'm a dork and proud) 'Devil May Cry', 'Gears of War', 'Tekken', 'Splinter Cell' 'Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time', 'Resident Evil: Afterlife', 'Mortal Kombat: Devastation' Possibly a 'Grand Theft Auto' movie, a much, much anticipated 'Bioshock' rumored to be starring hottie Wentworth Miller is another one I'm anticipating because it was a pretty awesome looking game though I didn't get to play it much because I don't own an XBox :(

One movie that's out right now that I'm planning on seeing is 'The Book of Eli' starring Denzel Washington. I'm waiting to see some reviews because lately I've just been disappointed in the hyped up movies especially those involving post-apocalyptic plots. However I do have to say the storyline seems interestng and Denzel Washington is a B.A actor.
The Book of Eli


Trailer 2 (I like this one better)


One movie I will not be going to see is 'The Lovely Bones. I've just heard so many bad things about this movie even though I absolutely love Peter Jackson and had been expecting to be hearing better things. Personally I think I'll wait for this one.

Maybe not this one either but I bet it will be a big hit, it has a lot of big names in it, but romantic comedies make me gag:p
Valentines Day


Actually most romantic movies make me gag.
Unless it has Robert Pattinson in it. Yumm.
Remember Me


But anyways, speaking of Peter Jackson a minute ago made me want to mention that I can't wait until the Hobbit comes out. Its supposed to be crazy elaborate and is being released in 2 parts. In February of 2008 the films were announced as scheduled for release in Decembers 2011 and 2012. Still seems so far away from now. Apparently the movies are still in production and the estimated budget was 300million dollars. Wonder if that budget has been smashed by now. Speaking of crazy high budget movies...

Avatar is actually only the 26th biggest movie ever
Moviegoers shelling out upwards of $10 for a ticket to see Avatar in 3D have pushed the flick about the far off land of Pandora past Titanic as the highest grossing film of all time. The key word is “grossing” because, in terms of actual tickets sold, Avatar only comes in at number twenty-six on the list.

The media rarely reports on ticket sales because, let’s face it, talking billions of dollars just sounds more exciting.

Here’s the Top 10 movies of all time, by number of tickets sold:

1. "Gone With the Wind" (1939) 202,044,600
2. "Star Wars" (1977) 178,119,600
3. "The Sound of Music" (1965) 142,415,400
4. "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial" (1982) 141,854,300
5. "The Ten Commandments" (1956) 131,000,000
6. "Titanic" (1997) 128,345,900
7. "Jaws" (1975) 128,078,800
8. "Doctor Zhivago" (1965) 124,135,500
9. "The Exorcist" (1973) 110,568,700
10. "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" (1937) 109,000,000

Check out the full Top 20 that, with ten million more tickets sold, Avatar can break in to.
(Via The Hollywood Reporter)

But Apparently China Liked Avatar enough!
China renames 'Avatar' mountain in honour of film
On BBC News.com

And this is worth linking:
20 Greatest Extended Takes In Movie History
On Geekwise.com
"The extended take is a cinematic hire-wire act that pushes the director, actors, cinematographer, art department, sound design, and every other department to their limits.  They take a very long time to set-up, and are very easy to mess up.  The longer the take, the more pressure is added to get it right."

No comments:

Post a Comment