Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I asked for a Kindle but secretly want an iPad.

My take on the Kindle versus iPad.


It's like ereader verusus laptop. I wouldn't mind having a laptop though. But an iPad 16g is priced at $499 much closer to what I'm willing to spend for a laptop than an ebook reader. As of right now a Kindle 3 is priced at $139, closer to what I could see myself, or someone spending for me. Yes 16g looks like a huge difference between 3g but these are supposed to be ebook readers. Do you comprehend how many books take up 3 gigabytes of space? Can I?
So will the iPad be the "Kindle killer"? Is the ebook reader I've been asking for as a present the last 3 Christmases already outdated? I'm not too sure about that yet. Why can't I get one of each and compare for a month? Maybe that's what I'll do.
The way I look at it is; The iPhone was $600 when it came out a few years back. It's already down to $99. If it wasn't jailbreakable/unlockable and other companies didn't now carry it the price probably wouldn't of come down so much. Face it, the name and technology the phone has is something people are willing to pay for. Now that the iPad is jailbreakable/unlockable already (Way sooner than the iPhone faced it when it first arrived) will the prices come down sooner than later? Or will technology expand? Will Apple upgrade the reading capabilities and soft/hardware and keep the price high? I'm really debating this one. Guess I need to sit down with a cup of coffee and rack my brain, read everything I can to compare these 2 and either edit my Christmas list or take satisfaction that I'm asking for the right thing.


This reminds me of something I've been wanting to post anyways. About innovation. Some company will always come out with something different and better. Usually I'm all about it, all for it but sometimes I find myself shying away from shiny new things. Like they are spoiling all the glory of the other things that were once new and the best.


The five stages of innovation

   1. People deny that the innovation is required.
   2. People deny that the innovation is effective.
   3. People deny that the innovation is important.
   4. People deny that the innovation will justify the effort required to adopt it.
   5. People accept and adopt the innovation, enjoy its benefits, attribute it to people other than the innovator, and deny the existence of stages 1 to 4.

©AC 2005. Inspired by Alexander von Humboldt's 'Three Stages Of Scientific Discovery', as referenced by Bill Bryson in his book, 'A Short History Of Nearly Everything'.

Not applicable of course to courageous early adopters of innovation everywhere.

Early adoption of innovation might not be natural to everyone - but it is an option worth considering, especially if you have a feeling that the present situation can be improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment